We usually just test a few miles from a tower.  A laptop, canopy,
extension cord, spare parts and tools.  It's not soo much fun in
winter weather, but we make sure that signals are within 3-5 db of
each other.  We know what we should be getting from our test location,
we also run a 30 second bandwidth test as well.

-Kevin