Your plan sounds good.

We have a guy take the radios and a laptop up to the third floor of our
building where we have LOS to multiple APs of ours of multiple technologies.
He'll make them associate, evaluate signal levels, run some traffic over it,
and if it's good, set it back to defaults. Part of sending a guy away from his
desk to test them is to eliminate the constant interruptions that have
prevented the person from getting to that big stack of questionable gear.

Many radios are "broken" due to bad pigtails/jumpers, bad power supplies, etc..
If it's an Alvarion radio, we look into the log files as well for clues.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:43:56PM -0800, Kristian Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We tend to get radios back from techs with notes that say something like
> "bad radio" or "low signal."  Things that aren't obviously broken tend
> to sit around and collect dust.
>
> Does anyone have a efficient way to test 802.11a/b/g radios?  Most of
> our equipment is MikroTik, so my plan was to do a conductive test
> between a known good radio and the radio in question with 80 dB or so of
> attenuator stacked between them, check the rx signal on both ends, and
> run a bw test for a set amount of time.  Is there anything else that I
> should take into consideration, or perhaps a completely different
> approach?
>
> I was looking at these attenuators...
>
> http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/UNAT-30+.pdf
>
> I don't think precision is really an issue as long as they're consistent
> from one test to another.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Kristian Hoffmann
> System Administrator
> kh...@fire2wire.com
> http://www.fire2wire.com
>
> Office - 209-543-1800 | Fax - 209-545-1469 | Toll Free - 800-905-FIRE

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/