Hi,

I've kept this email since you sent it out. I just now read the article,
and I agree with many things stated there. About two days before you
sent this article, it came to my mind (because there was a discussion
about metered billing) that electricity is metered... yet, it's so cheap
now that people don't worry about leaving their TV or lights on while
they are gone from the house for a few hours. I think some day internet
access may come to that level as well... but it may be 100 years from
now before that happens.

The biggest difference with electricity vs. internet service is that all
the devices for internet service require two-way communication.
Electricity is easy... you put it out on the wires, and people use it as
they need it. There are almost no limits on the amount they can use,
etc. Internet is different... the biggest difference is that every
device that is connected can become infected, have bad hardware, or
essentially take on a life of it's own... thus using more resources than
what anyone realizes. A user could leave a bittorrent service running
for 29 days before it's noticed... and then get a bill for $500 for that
month's service... and nobody is happy.

I think this is the reason that telco's and cableco's took so long to
get internet going... they didn't know how to deal with two-way
communication... and having a device on the connection that could cause
an entire block, switch, router, etc. to have problems was totally new
to them. Cable was easy when it was "download" only... same with
telephone... a direct line back to a switch in a CO is easy... either it
works or it doesn't.

Will the internet evolve to something like electricity? I believe the
answer is yes... but that is still a long time into the future... I
doubt many of us will see it in our lifetimes.

Travis
Microserv