2010/1/18 Marlon K. Schafer <o...@odessaoffice.com>:
> Re: Support for Comms Infrastructure Setup in HaitiThanks Nimesh,
>
> To the board, we sponsored a site to take donations for Katrina.  I'd like to
> suggest that we turn that back on for donations for use in any disaster and
> that we kick loose any remaining funds for the Haiti event.
>
> To the membership, WISPA has worked with New America for many years.  We are
> *mostly* on the same page and I know many of the people involved personally.
> This is a real group of people that do real things, not just a guy or two
> trying to profit from disasters.
>
> Nimesh, if you come up with anything even more specific let us know.

The big problem down there right now communications wise, is diesel.
There is a microwave link from DR to a large NAP, and they are down to
eight hours of fuel. This would be a great place to start. There is a
thread on NANOG at the moment in regards to this, and even mentions
the "diverse group of wireless people" (Prounounced: Camp Shagnasty)
who helped out in Katrina.

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg04234.html