First it needs to be determined if an all outdoor solution is needed over
the advantages of a Split system. There are numerous third party Split
systems just as inexpensive as all ODU units. So price should not be the
only factor to decide all outdoor product. (For example Ligo just released
one). In Split Archetecture, if price is not a factor, the Dragonwave still
has an upper hand on upgradablilty "IF" that is neededed, meaning an Airpair
can be upgraded to DUO or Quantum with just an indoor unit upgrade, to get
beyond the 800mbps limit of Dual polarity available in other solutions.

The Trango Apex and Horizon Compact more or less offer the same thing as All
ODU config, and to be honest, both Radio brands are so excellent, I cant
pick one over the other as a preferred better product.  We use them both. My
buying decission has been primarilly decided by best Price on a given day,
or unique requirements of a specific job.

I personally prefer Trango for two reasons.... I love the intuative OS and
easy to remember commands. Its also a way easier buying experience.
(Everything all in one place at a good price, no confusing part numbers,
etc).

As it turns out, I'll be putting more Dragonwaves on my network than Trango
because there is a larger secondary market for Dragonwave (As they upgrade),
to find deals..

So far, my Dragonwaves have shown to be solid, install and leave. Without
checking the quick install guide, I wouldn;t even know how to configure one
anymore, because I haven't even had to log in since the day they were
installed.  However, that does not mean that the APEXes aren't reliable. My
APEXes have also operated very reliably, although it took a couple Firmware
upgrades to get there.

Antenna selection is also a relevent factor.  Both models cab use any
antenna with a Cable adapter, but that results in loss DB and added expense,
so we'll consider only "waveguide" direct antenna models in this advise.
Dragonwave has the option to use the Andrews 2.5' dish. This is relevent
because it has the same DBi and radiating characteristics as the 3ft models,
except that it can be shipped UPS (a big savings, not requiring freight
shipping), Lower cost mounting because less windload and can use thinner
pipe, and easier to fit colo where a 6" can make quite a difference.  The
DBI of 2.5ft and 3ft dishes are often needed to get five 9 reliabilty Link
budgets for typical link distances at full modulation, at lease it was
relevent for our links. (For example a 10 mile 11Ghz link should ahve a
2.5ft or 3ft dish).

IF buying 1ft, 2ft, 3ft, or 4 ft, Both Dragonwave and Trango can use the
lower cost RadioWaves dishes, although unique proprietray versions of.
Trango is the winner, because Trango's version Dishes are about $200 cheaper
than Dragowave versions.

Link budget also matters, because rf power differences between Compact and
Apex.  IF we talk 11Ghz, At low modulation (qam16) Dragonwave HP has higher
power 25db compared to Trango's 19db or so, so gets longer links.  However,
at High Modulation (qam256) Trango has a longer distance in link budget. The
reason is that at higher modulation both Apex and Compact are limited to
19dbm power, except Trango has better sensitivity, of about -65 compared to
Compact's -60. (I dont have manual infront of me and that may not be exact,
but its about a 4-5db difference in sensitivity).  It should also be noted
that Compact comes in a low power and high power model. The PRice
Comparative model to APEX is the LOW Power  version. The low power version
can only do like 10dbm in power or so. So to get High Power it requires an
additional $1000 upgrade for Dragonwave.

But these power levels are relevent in establishing price per link. For
example, If you can get a way with a 2ft dish (instead of 2.5 to 3ft), the
price drops from $1300 to $600.   $700 is a huge savings. So if a 100mb
link, ther is a better chance you'll accomplish the Link budget with
Compact. IF 200-400mb link there is a better chance it can be accomplsihed
with the Apex.

It should also be known that Trango power supplies are about $200 per link,
and Dragonwave has Install kits (w/ power supplies and POE) for $700 per
link. So Trango has some savings their to. As well Trango's fiber option is
less expensive.

Both Trango and Dragonwave have unique advance technical features. I dont
need any of them, so its not a factor for me. But if you need those unique
advanced feature, then you should study the manuals of each to determine
which OS is best suited for you. I'm talking about meeting a specific
standard, or a specific QOS model, or something like that.

There was one thing that got me stuck on Dragonwave, and that was how it did
VLANs. It has something to do with how it treats VLAN1 and compared to how
common switches and Linux Treats VLAN1.
With Trango it was trouble free and plug and play. With Dragonwave it was a
headache, that I never solved,  and I had to revise my methodology, (or
inject specific brand switches inline to avoid the incompatibilty).

Dragonwave comes in many different configurations, whether its A MIL conn, 1
port versus two, with fiber option or not, etc, so it can be more confusing
selecting the right part number. With Trango its one model that can be used
for any of its various user configurations.

There will be some that analyze the Firmware features to death, and will
swear to teh advantages of one Brand over the other becaues of how that
advanced feature works. But to me, none of that really matters. They are
both are extremely capable and mature products, where to me it comes down to
teh link budget, and the total cost to acheive that, after considering all
above that I mentioned.

It might also be afactor of whether you want to have the distribution
channel in the loop or not. Distributors often ease with replacement parts
availabilty, leasing programs, and License processing. Dragonwave offers
that.
IF you dont need that, efficiencies can be acheived because you work direct
with Trango's fine staff.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband