Steve,

There is no reason why someone in this industry should be wearing RF
suit.  A few quick notes:

1.  Stay away from the front of all cell panel antennas and commercial
microwave dishes. RF fields directly in front of these exceed that
allowable under the standards.

2. Stay away from ALL broadcast antennas regardless if they are TV,
Radio or "low power" educational or non-profit stations. These stations
usually have RF guidelines for working around their equipment.  They
"should" be posted at the site but in many cases are not.

3. Keep a few (6) feet between yourself and most two-way radio "whip"
antennas. If climbing you should be safe passing them.  Try not to work
on the same plane for an extended period of time.  And don't use
antennas for balance or grab points.  Especially aluminum antennas.

4. Anyone working around this equipment should have RF awareness
training which includes education on RF safety, emergencies, use of a
PASS alarm system and RF suit usage.

If you think you need to wear a suit you probably should not be near the
equipment.  In the cell industry we have the carrier shut the sector or
site down when working in front of the antennas.  In broadcast the
transmitters are either shut down or the power is greatly reduced.  This
requires alot of work at night in the dark.

FYI

-B-