On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 00:18, Josh Luthman <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>wrote:

> Almost all HTTP content is gzip'ed already.  I doubt any compression
> above that is going to be worth the CPU time cost.

Do you have a cite for this? The best things I can find (with a whopping
total of two minutes on Google, admittedly) are things like
http://www.port80software.com/surveys/top1000compression/
which, while two years old, says that only about 1/4 of Web sites are using
server-side gzip compression.

Then again, those numbers do come from a company that sells a compression
ISAPI for Microsoft IIS Web servers, so it's probably in their best interest
to tweak the numbers downward a bit. I'm hoping for a more reliable source.
(Netcraft, for instance, doesn't seem to have anything, which surprises me.)

(That also doesn't account for the fact that gzip is a really old
compression scheme, and if you're using a client-side application like
Propel, you'll likely get better compression than gzip.)

> Even if the software was free, who would support the people who are
> terrified to install anything at all?

If you were deploying something like this, presumably your field techs would
be installing and testing the software on customers' PCs when you do
whatever else you do to install new customers. If you already have a large
customer base, though, you'd probably have to accept that some large number
of your customers never would install the software, and that you wouldn't
get all the benefits from it.

David Smith
MVN.net