Replies inline

On Mar 16, 2010, at 6:22 PM, Tim Sylvester wrote:

> 1. What type of satellite Internet connection costs $50,000?

        A no-bid, cost plus reseller that has a sweet contract with the
school/local govt?

> 2. Does anyone have experience deploying satellite Internet access? How much
> does it cost and how reliable is the service?

        I've put in a few. Here in Venezuela where there's no cheap
alternatives it costs around $500 a month for a 512k/128k with a reasonable
"contention" (over sold bandwidth) ratio. It was around $1,500 for the hardware
up front. Others "give" the equipment "free" (you have to return it when you
quit) but they charge more for the monthly rate and make out like a bandit.

> 3. Does anyone have experience with Hughes Networks satellite Internet
> service? I exchanged e-mail with a Hughes rep and they offer 5Mbps business
> class Internet service for $399/month using a .98M dish. You can pay
> $28/month for 7x24 on-site service and $20/month for 5 static IP addresses.

        I checked it out heavily. There's a lot of players and resellers. The
prices you quoted above are about right across the board, though the price goes
up if you want a more carrier class very low contention ratio. I'm using a
satellite system here. I believe our service is from Hughes. It's resold by a
local reseller but it's a Hughes modem and we're pointing at a sat that carries
Hughes traffic. It's less expensive (and you get more bandwidth) for the same
service in the US because there's competition, but more important than the peak
bandwidth quoted is the contention ratio. Even in Mexico and other Latin
American countries where it's available one can get a cheap ($99) HughesNet
service but that's consumer grade with the bandwidth limits and if you go over
they bottleneck you down to nothing for the next 24 hour period.

Greg