Comet, Diamond and a number of off shore companies
(Workman/Opek/Tram/Browning/Jetstream) all make a variant of this antenna -
the most common failure we've had is wind on top mounts snapping them in
half... If you looked at the inside prior to it being sealed up, it's
nothing more than a very thin wall fiberglass tube with some brass rod
hovering in the middle, supsended by nothing more than packing peanuts :)

Another item - couldn't quite tell from the picture - the top metal cap on
the antenna has been known to blow off (held on with a dab of wood glue, no
wonder)... This might also cause some issues...