There is no such thing as collisions now on ethernet/fiber as we use switches
instead of
hubs. Each link is full duplex and capable of handing 100% capacity.

However if you basing utilization on 5 minute averages like MRTG, keep in mind
that's a
5 minute average and you could be going from frequent 100% utilization to 50%
utilization within that 5 minute interval, so 75% utilization could be
considered full
under those circumstances if you want to avoid dropped packets.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:08:50AM -0400, Scott Reed wrote:
> Old rule of thumb for Ethernet, because it is based on collision
> detection, is 70-75% is the max you want.  Above this and collisions
> often become an issue.  I assume the same is true for the faster links
> as well.
>
> Jeremie Chism wrote:
> > At what percentage of your backbone usage do you look at adding more
> > capacity. At peak times I run at 65-70 percent of capacity.  Just
> > looking for suggestions.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone

> Scott Reed
> Sr. Systems Engineer
> GAB Midwest
> 1-800-363-1544 x2241
> 1-260-827-2241
> Cell: 260-273-7239

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/