I've always been pro-tax credit, based on my personal agenda.
I think it incourages investment, not only helps reduce an ISP's tax burden.

However, from my experience debating ARRA, I learned there can be some
disadvantages of Tax Credits.
The BIG disadvantage for WISPs is that it helps Large Telcos and Cable Cos
and large scale VC backed companies  the most. They have tons of income
they'd love to have tax relief from.  They also have tons of money to
invest, WISPs may have less comparatively. Probaly the best way to get FIOS
built out to your community, to put the local WISP out of business, is to
give Verizon a healthy Tax credit to Invest there.

The bottom line is large companies have cash and favorable borrowing
capabilty and have no problem looking at 30 years out to gain their ROI.
WISPs on the other hand tend to be more upfront cash constrainted. Even
lending can be limted due to insufficient colladeral. Now I understand many
business owners are better off than others in their ablty to get larger
scale funding. But as projects scale larger, it becomes more of a challenge.
The Large Telcos (and USF ILECs) always will have more recognized
colladeral.

This is one of the reasons that in ARRA lobbying  that the concept of Loan
assistance and Grants was preferable to lobby for. That would be more
beneficial to a WISP than a tax credit on income they never had, because
they never were able to fund their proposed project in the first place.

The question to be asked is..... Do we want to ask for tax credits, that
would help WISPs a little bit, at the expense of helping our competitors a
lot?
If the goal is to help more American get faster broadband sooner, Tax
Credits is a great idea. But if the goal is to help make sure WISPs becomes
a larger part of that solution, I'm not so sure it helps us.  Strategically,
it would benefit WISPs if we could discourage investment from large
carriers.

The other thing is that Tax Credits equally rewards all spending whether it
is efficent or wasteful spending. Dont we want policy that focuses rewards
to those that spent more efficiently? WISP's advantage is that they have
more affordable cost of deployment.

One of the things I challenge today is where there is any place left on teh
planet in rural America that is not cost effective to serve with wireless?
With the exception of Tower costs. If line of sight can be acheived, and
twoers are needed, the cost to deploy an area can skyrocket. But otherwise,
even rural areas of 1 home per square mile can be afforded with Fixed
Wireless.  HAving a low dnsity is actually preferred. When a 2.4Ghz AP can
extend 20 miles, and can only support about 20-50 homes per AP, its a
perfect match for low density rural terrain.

I also have no patience for thoise that say a small rurla town can survive
without being a monopoly. I live in a farm town with 300 homes, 25 acre
zoning minimum, most have much more land per farm.. And here are 4 WISPs in
this town, and there is enough revenue for each of us, for each of us to
justify keeping up operations. What it means is that we dont put all our
eggs in one town.  Having 25% of the market in 4 towns, is equivellent to
100% of the market to serve one. I only need 5 customers in a town for it to
be profitable to serve. (again, there are exceptions to that based on tower
requirements). But the answer is just to spread out farther, so one towns
infrastructure can subsidize the next's.  Sometimes it means diversity,
where a provider might need to offer otehr services like Compueter repir or
traininf along side their Broadband opperations. But that has often been the
way it is in small towns, where businesses serve more than one function for
its community, than its core competency.
What people really mean is that Fiber is more cost effective to deploy as a
monopoly.

Isn't what we really need is continued awareness building that Wireless
delivers what people need, and what is needed is investment in Wireless.
Like the Rolling Stones said, "You cant always get what you want, but if you
try sometimes, you can get what you need".

The other thing is that a tax credit will decrease the fed government
revenue earned from larger telcos (our competitirs), which is a huge sum of
money.  Wouldn't it be better if that revenue was kept, and reused for
broadband programs that would help smaller providers and competitive
providers? Killing off USF and giving tax credits in combined would benefit
wealthy urban/suburban RBOCs and Cable Cos the most.   One price advantage
that WISPs have today, is that we dont have to impose that 6% USF tax today
on our subscribers. Its one of the hidden charges on teh telco bill, that
helps reduce how much RBOCS out price us. How many WISPs advertise, "no
hidden charges"?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband