hm...

I hosted a lot of those Mustang Software BBS systems back in the day.
Bakersfield, I think was where the company was located. I was one of the
biggest BBS hosting facilities in the Los Angeles area at the time, as
many folks didn't actually have the resources, but wanted to have their
own BBSes.

Personally, I never really cared much for Wildcat, or TBBS.

Ah, I recall w/fond memories...

In one guest on VirtualBox, I'm actually running an old Yggdrasil
GNU/Linux installation LOL.

A few months ago I fired up my two favs in virtual machines: UltraBBS
(written by a guy named Craig in Colorado as I recall), and Searchlight
- - which support[s/ed] RIP protocol at the console - unlike Wildcat,
which you had to log into one of the nodes to actually see the RIP.

Being a collector (and hoarder) of old software, like IBM TopView, LOL,
this is how I've built my current BBS network, which I fire up in
VirtualBox Guests every few weeks or so for kicks, it's not actually
production of course, but it is functional and could be - keeps me sharp!

And then the BBS software I'm running for the nodes consist of UltraBBS
(a great, fast, and very stable ANSI BBS system), and Searchlight.

Had a bit of an issue w/Searchlight at first, coz I had to do a bit of
scouring of the net to find an old copy of Telegraphix's RIPterm - the
one thing I didn't actually keep a copy of.

A lot of fun really.

The systems run on DR DOS, with Artisoft Lantastic's AILANBIO running -
no SERVER.EXE's though (All you need is NetBIOS) - all that is handled
by DesqviewX, which provides the TCP/IP and X-Windows for the multiple
nodes and networking across what the virtual machines see as separate
machines.

It wasn't theoretically possible to do this back then in the 386 days
(Artisoft said it couldn't be done) - everyone ran Desqview (Not
DesqviewX) to provide as many nodes on a single machine as possible, and
Netware for most serious BBSes, but we were able to smash through the
ceiling of what DOS based software could handle by adopting and
integrating X into our networks.

But we were already powering many of the smaller car rental agencies
around LAX with this networking technology, even those with several
remote offices. Novell was really the only other game in town if you
didn't want UNIX.

It also provided some of the earliest actual ISP operations we were
involved in by using DesqviewX and BBS Doors to provide direct access to
UNIX hosts (an old VAX machine, but mostly SCO Xenix and JOlIX until I
created Linboard Linux), and some pretty clever Tcl/Tk and Perl for a
primitive GUI.

In fact, later on, I fired up and am still maintaining and old Gopher
server of mine, which runs on IIS 2 - the last version that still
supported the gopher protocol (Yes, there was an IIS 1.0, which I was
certified on as an instructor, but it never went to market - Microsoft
released IIS 2.0 instead).

But alas, in one of the only MAJOR incorrect predictions I've ever made,
we banked on souping up the GUI (At the time based on RIP and our custom
Tcl/Tk/Perl) instead of seeing the light of that.... "HTML stuff" ;)

You can't always be right :)

////////

On another note, there's been a BBS system which I fire up once in a
while on Linux boxes that has been pretty much maintained and modernized
over the years - prolly the only serious production platform still
available....

http://www.synchro.net/

Digitalman (Rob Swindell) has done an excellent job of maintaining it,
and there are a few hundred live nodes around the world running on the
Synchromesh network.

I fire that up every now and then, but as is prolly obvious, I don't
have much practical use for it, although there has been somewhat of a
(nostalgic?) resurgence in this software.

What I haven't done, it set up D'Bridge or gotten involved in any
FIDOnet tossing since there's no network anymore (At least I don't think
there is),

But it's kinda kewl when you have all your licensed software and can
still manage to get that rickety stuff running again LOL.

Heck. I've got a collection of old IBM 5150 machines, a System 36, some
various "Hot-Rodded" XTs, and a couple of 3270 ATs - including
refurbished MFM and RLL formatted HDDs and old SCSI towers taking up
space in my offline museum (One of my sea containers).

got piles of old NDIS and NE2000 NICs (Even 8bit ISA NICs, which are
impossible to find now), and modems from 300BAUD acoustic couplers all
the way up the scale.

Someday.... I'll make a killing on eBay (yeah right).

On 6/3/2010 9:31 AM, RickG wrote:
> Was running Wildcat from '90-'92! Those were fun days! -RickG
>
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Butch Evans <but...@butchevans.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 08:31 -0400, Jeremy Parr wrote:
>>> You can only count Wildcat if it was multinode.
>>
>> So I guess I'm WELL over 15 years, then.  I ran a 10 line RA board from
>> '88-'92.  Well, it was 10 lines when I shut down in '92.  I tried
>> WildCat, but never really liked it.
>>
>> --
>> * Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
>> * http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
>> * http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
>> * http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *

- --