That's a basic question.

 From one consultant to another... the maximum legal access point EIRP
on 5.8 GHz is +36 dBm.

What individual WISP operators actually do in practice is anybody's guess.

The majority of WISP operators are mature, responsible people. They
strive to do the right thing and to obey the law to the best of their
ability.

A minority of WISP operators (unfortunately, our industry has its share
of "bad apples") take pride in their disdain for anybody or anything and
seem to revel in telling other people to go to hell.

Best of luck to you,
                               jack

Fred R. Goldstein wrote:
> I'm just a little confused about some of these nice-looking access
> points.  The UBNT Rocket M5, for instance, can put out +27 dBm.  It
> plugs *right into* a nice 19dB sector antenna.  Okay, the smaller,
> 120 dB sector is only 16 dB.  Now math is not really my thing but I
> get a total ERP there of +43 to 46 dBm.
>
> FCC Rule 15.247 states that the maximum transmitted power output for
> digitally-modulated intentional radiators in the 5725-5850 MHz band
> ("ISM") is 1 watt, and the maximum antenna gain is 6 dBi.  Each
> additional dB of antanna gain means one less dB of power.  So the
> maximum ERP is 4 watts (+36).
>
> Point-to-point is an exception in that specific band; it is allowed
> unlimited antenna gain.  But "point-to-multipoint systems,
> omnidirectional applications, and multiple co-located intentional
> radiators transmitting the same information" are under the cap.
>
> So am I correct in assuming that everybody who uses the Rocket M5, or
> any other similar PtMP system for subscriber access, turns the
> transmitter power REAL low (~+20 + feedline loss), in order to keep
> the ERP below +36?  Or are we assuming that since you're technically
> only transmitting and receiving to one end user at a time, it's really PtP?
>
> SkyPilot's legal hack, of course, is to have eight 45 degree sector
> antennas and only use one at a time, so it is legally PTP even with
> +42 EiRP. And with advanced 11N 4x4 beamforming antennas, something
> like that will become relatively easy.  But we're not quite there
> yet.  Thoughts?
>
>   --
>   Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
>   ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/
>   +1 617 795 2701

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Network Design - Technical Training - Technical Writing
Serving the Broadband Wireless, Networking and Telecom Communities since 1993
www.ask-wi.com  818-227-4220  jun...@ask-wi.com