If you go propane/NG upsize quite a bit to have smooth power.
Diesel's torque makes for smoother power output undering changing loads.
Diesel can run full rated load of datacenter load.

I went diesel (Cummins/Onan) for my datacenter. I put the generator
inside to prevent winter fuel gelling, rodents, rust, etc... It's on a
275 gallon heating oil tank. Looks almost like new still after 10 years.
There's a whole set of design requirements for having a generator
inside, in terms of fire safety, fresh air flow for combusition and
cooling, etc..., that's why most are outside. I was building from
scratch, so I put it where I wanted it. Had a boatbuilder put a custom
stainless steel exhaust on it coming out the side of the building.

Get something that matches the voltage and phase your utility provides.
Don't get a 1 phase for your 3phase service. Get an appropriate high
quality auto transfter switch that can switch your whole datacenter
over, not just select circuits. The transfer switch should also be able
to exercize the generator on a schedule.

Check the hour meter and fluids once in a while so you know it's
exercizing properly and ready for use.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:02:28PM -0400, Chuck Hogg wrote:
> Ok, so I am in the market for a Generator.  Looking for probably
> 30-45kW.  I've heard people say  I need a PMG Exciter??  Anyone with
> experience in doing this?   It's to support our datacenter, a few racks,
> a few 2200 UPS's and PDU's, and Cooling.  I find all kinds of different
> ones on eBay and elsewhere, and am hoping someone already did the
> legwork and figured out everything they needed and can share?
>

> Regards,
>
> Chuck Hogg
>
> Shelby Broadband
> 502-722-9292
> ch...@shelbybb.com <mailto:ch...@shelbybb.com>
>
> http://www.shelbybb.com <http://www.shelbybb.com>

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/