From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Fred Goldstein
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 6:46 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Single radio or multiple radios in the same box?

At 9/1/2010 06:53 PM, Dennis Burgess wrote:
>We never put more than 1 freq card in an enclosure.  XR2 + XR5, that's
>fine, but not two XR2s or two XR5s.

Reading the forums, especially the UBNT ones, I got some ideas about
what might work.  Here's my recollection.

Just from the look of them, the UBNT radio cards seem to have more
shielding than MTs, but the MTs might have enough.  One of the big
problems in this case is the pigtails.  The stock ones are cheap,
leaky coax.  One guy routinely puts multiple radios on the same band
into one Routerboard, but he either builds his out pigtails out of
double-shielded coax, or he uses selected Laird ones.  (Some Lairds
are better than others, so they need testing.)

For $15-20, a real premium-quality pigtail could be a bargain.  Not
that I know of anyone selling them.

There were also reports that the RB433 had problems that didn't show
up in the RB600 or RB800.  This might be that on the RB433, cards are
so close together that they touch, which is bad..  One guy stuck a
toothpick between the adjacent cards.

The plastic UBNT antennas are somewhat leaky too; best results even
with separate radios come from using RF Armor or other shields.

BTW I'm doing a design now with outdoor Routerboards, and hope to
have multiple cards per box, so hearing about real experience with
these or other tricks is alwasy helpful.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/

----