Kinky.

From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of RickG
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:02 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Taking the plunge

I know a guy in Florida who put up a PTP link for every customer! Of course,
that was from the rooftop of a high rise.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com>
wrote:

At 9/13/2010 10:43 PM, Robert West wrote:

>Yo, dude!  Sectors acting as backhaul?   Now I LIKE that idea!
>
>I shall steal it from you and make it my own.
>
>Nuff said.

Why not?  I'm working on a design now that has 15-20 access points
fed from a sector antenna on a tower.  (I couldn't put that many
separate links up if I tried, not between 5.725 and 5.85.)  They'll
need TDMA (Airmax or an Nstreme) to keep things sorted out, of
course.  There's a string of nodes that can barely see each other for
the trees, but can all see one tower over water... since water paths
tend to be flakey, I'm thinking of putting two antennas on the tower,
one above the other, hoping that the vertical spacing may have the
two sectors (overlapping coverage, different 5.8 channels) flake out
at different times.

The real question is whether or not I can make a case that the "Sky
Pilot Rule" applies, and thus the whole sector counts as PtP for
regulatory power limit purposes.  With TDMA it's only transmitting to
one at a time, after all...

 --
 Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
 ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/

----