At 9/14/2010 01:56 AM, Robert West wrote:
>You be right!  I have one hub with multiple backhauls on it.  My problem was
>always the sectors being 15 to 19dbi gain but the grids being a good 29.  My
>furthest out is 20 miles, not good for a 15dbi sector,  but most other AP's
>can see the hub's sectors at at least a -74.  In fact, I've USED them in a
>pinch to work around outages, though not within FCC guide lines..........
>(So what)  but I never thought about just using it as part of the big
>vision.
>
>Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................

Yeah, that's the tough part.  The longest path from that sector is 22
kilometers.  RadioMobile estimates a path loss of around 137 dB, but
it's over water so it could vary widely.

So if the sector is legally PtMP, then I have a 17 dB sector and can
feed it only +19, for +36 EIRP.  The remote end, though, is PtP so I
can use a 24 dB antenna and a +24 radio, for a +48 EIRP.  My outbound
fade margin would be nicer if I could call the sector PtP
too!  That's why the SkyPilot rule is interesting.  They use a 45
degree sector and a +27 TDMA transmitter and call it PtP, with +44 or
more EIRP, even though it looks PtMP to the end user. Clever rule
hacking, but they've gotten approved.  So why shouldn't Airmax or NV2
do the same?

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/