From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Fred Goldstein
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 1:22 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] I'm pulling Mikrotik

At 9/17/2010 01:51 PM, Greg wrote:
>Isn't Vyatta for the x86 free?
>
>I'm not familiar with OpenWRT, but between dd-WRT and RouterOS it's no
>contest. RouterOS wins.

Vyatta sells prepackaged routers at a much larger size than MikroTik,
and should even support 10G Ethernet uplinks.  Whether their flavor of
Linux does anything to make this possible that RouterOS doesn't, I don't
know.  It may just be that MT never tried to built on a big multicore
server. We'll see... it's all just Linux anyway.

OpenWRT is a parallel fork to DD-WRT, both loosely derived from the
original WRT sources.  They've added different features and don't seem
to be all that friendly... your basic Linux fork situation.

What I'm still confused about is how RouterOS can be based on Linux yet
not have open source code.  Where's MT hiding it?

>Greg
>
>On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:
>
> > Several threads have suggests Mikrotik over Vyatta.  Cheaper and
> > better.  I have not used Vyatta.
> >
> > Josh Luthman
> > Office: 937-552-2340
> > Direct: 937-552-2343
> > 1100 Wayne St
> > Suite 1337
> > Troy, OH 45373
> >

> > On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Fred Goldstein
> <fgoldst...@ionary.com> wrote:

> >> You're right.. I'm not all that familiar with RouterOS yet. I'm
> >> doing the design now and want to make sure that RouterOS can do
> >> what I want it to do.  Of course there's always OpenWRT or DD-WRT
> >> but they don't seem to do as much yet.  And RouterOS allows
> >> virtualization, so we can presumably test WRT hacks in a virtual
> >> partition without bringing down the production net.
> >>
> >> UBNT has a little CPU too but it just comes with, I think,
> >> Kamikaze, and nobody seems to take it seriously.  Down on the
> >> ground, something bigger like Vyatta should be able to handle all
> >> of the real routing load.  So I want to take each of the subscriber

> >> CPE radios (probably all UBNT) and make each one a VLAN, switched
> >> back to the big router that sits near the fiber.  This is a little
> >> out of the usual "route everywhere" box.

> http://blog.butchevans.com/2010/02/to-tag-or-not-to-tag-that-is-the-qu
> estion/

Consultation*
*