we sent a number of UBNT radios down and both 2.4 and 5.8 were a mess...
Airmax helped - but your right - stuff was just left running -  who knows
where.

Our team did a bunch for the United Methodist Church - and have some backhauls
hopping all the way to the DR vs purchasing local.

5.1 seemed to be very open however

Hit me off list - and I will see what I can do to get some folks hooked up w/
you depending on location

On Sep 21, 2010, at 10:10 PM, Greg Ihnen wrote:

> I'm in South America but way way out in the jungle. It's the wild wild west
> out here so compliance is easy. Regulations? We don't need no stinking
> regulations! This place is quieter than an anechoic chamber.
>
> But I know a guy who's running a wisp in town. His problem is it's the wild
> wild west there too. 2.4GHz is a mess. He just went to 5.8GHz for back hauls
> which is still reasonably pristine but I'm sure that will change. I think all
> the things that apply in your neck of the woods will apply in Haiti - use
> sectors on the APs to help deal with interference, use the narrowest possible
> beam width on back hauls and 5.8GHz is probably the smart way to go, use as
> little power as possible, starting with Airmax now will probably prevent
> future problems with interference. Though in Haiti I imagine equipment theft
> at remote sites could be a problem. Never been to Haiti but I used to sail to
> the relatively richer half of the island (Dominican Republic) and it was the
> wild wild west there too.
>
> One time the captain wanted to test the calibration of the RDF so we tuned in
> the radio beacon. The Dominican Republic's callsign block is HI. The beacon
> transmits it's callsign in morse code. The beacon's callsign was HIV.
>
> Greg
>
> On Sep 21, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Robert West wrote:
>
>> Who on the list are in South America?  May be similar.

Glenn Kelley | Principle | HostMedic |www.HostMedic.com
  Email: gl...@hostmedic.com
Pplease don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.