You can also go off what you are using from your upstreams IP space.
ARIN will take into consideration that once you get your own allocation,
that you will give back the IP space you had from your upstream provider.

On 10/19/2010 10:47 PM, Kristian Hoffmann wrote:
> It lists the 80/50% figures for additional allocations, but nothing that
> I can find for initial allocations.  Thanks for the confirmation.
>
> -Kristian
>
> On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 22:11 -0500, Jon Auer wrote:
>> I asked about the cable exemption and they said it was "only for cable
>> operators" and not for anyone that assigns IPs to a geographic area
>> (tower).
>> We were able to get more space by showing over 80% of our existing
>> space was assigned to other entities (customers) and of that space 50%
>> of the major blocks were used. I believe those numbers are in their
>> docs.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Kristian Hoffmann<kh...@fire2wire.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can someone comment on their experience with requesting IPv4 address
>>> space from ARIN?  Particularly, what is an acceptable practice for a
>>> WISP to justify "need"?  There are specific provisions for cable
>>> operators so that they can request enough space for every household they
>>> are able to serve.  I'm talking myself in circles when it comes to what
>>> the basis for our need should look like.  Also, the ARIN policy refers
>>> to "efficient utilization" often, but doesn't seem to define what that
>>> is.  Is there a simple threshold like 80% allocated 50% utilized that is
>>> used for screening requests, or do they just say yes to everyone who
>>> looks like they have their documentation together?
>>>
>>> My ulterior motive is to take advantage of the IPv6 fee waiver for
>>> initial allocations so that we can begin our IPv6 deployment.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kristian Hoffmann
>>> System Administrator
>>> kh...@fire2wire.com
>>> http://www.fire2wire.com
>>>
>>> Office - 209-543-1800 | Fax - 209-545-1469 | Toll Free - 800-905-FIRE

Chris Gotstein, Network Engineer, U.P. Logon/Computer Connection U.P.
http://uplogon.com | +1 906 774 4847 | ch...@uplogon.com