On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:17, Marlon K. Schafer <o...@odessaoffice.com>wrote:

> I guess I should probably go after some ipv6 space too.  Just so I have it
> available for someday if nothing else.

You'll need it in the next couple years, and it's effectively free. (ARIN
charges you the greater of your IPv4 or IPv6 allocation fees. I have a /19
of IPv4 space, and a /32 of IPv6 space, the latter "just because.")

> I don't know of many consumer devices that can use it yet.

And neither of my upstream ISPs do native IPv6. Egg, chicken. Chicken, egg.
Hi.

Yeah, there's very little residential gear that would know what to do with
IPv6 address space (and, if you use radios that double as NATting routers
instead of just transparent bridges, relatively few of those that support
IPv6 either). Shame, that. Most IPv4 backhauls and such can pass IPv6
traffic just fine, but right now there are few places for the traffic to go
and few ways to get it there.

David Smith
MVN.net