Just got this from Verizon as a link on a advertisement:

Verizon's 4G network will be available in 38 markets and major airports,
covering approximately 100+ million people by the end of the year. We plan to
double that in 2012 and cover our entire existing 3G footprint with 4G LTE by
the end of 2013.

Verizon Wireless is aggressively building the nation’s first 4G LTE network
across the same footprint that is currently covered by its nationwide 3G
network, which covers more than 90% of the U.S. population. In order to provide
access to this 4G LTE network to more of the U.S. population living in rural
areas, Verizon Wireless plans to work with rural companies to collaboratively
build and operate a 4G network in those areas using the tower and backhaul
assets of the rural company and Verizon Wireless’ core LTE equipment and 700MHz
spectrum.

Verizon Wireless provides a unique opportunity for selected participants to
leverage the company’s technical and spectrum resources. We are seeking
companies that can assist in bringing the benefits of 4G LTE service to rural
areas that currently lack Verizon Wireless coverage. Verizon Wireless may work
with rural companies that have towers and backhaul capabilities, even if those
companies are not currently wireless operators. Together, we will plan and
coordinate a local LTE deployment schedule that makes sense for both Verizon
Wireless and the rural company that we are collaborating with.

http://aboutus.vzw.com/rural/Overview.html

Steve Barnes

General Manager

PCS-WIN