Although a P3 800 is not something we could call powerful these days,
what you've seen is connected to software, not hardware. Since
Mikrotik replaced Quagga with XORP in ROS 3.x, a good number of users
report minutes of high CPU in a full-routing environment. Does not
happen for everyone, but happens to most of them.

Rubens