Scott,

Typically in this scenario I would recommend one of two things:

1) Use an MPLS VLL/L2-psuedowire with a secondary failover endpoint on one
side.
Only some equipment vendors implement this (Juniper being one of them)

2) Use a PPPoE pado delay.  Set one BRAS to be some decent amount higher delay
in sending out PADO packets.  Any "decent" BRAS should support this.   This
does not include Mikrotik to my knowledge.

With a Cisco BRAS you can use the following command in a BBA group in 12.4T+:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/bbdsl/configuration/guide/bba_pppoe_sss.html

Regards,

Patrick