Sounds like Tsunami/Linx equivellent, running DSSS using most of the band to
deliver a few T1s.
The carriers use unlicenced for the same reason we do.  They sub it out to a
contractor, and then the contractor comes up with a solution that takes the
least planning.
Dont take it personally, the carriers usually dont use the Spectrum hogg
gear to hurt you, instead they use it for selfish reasons. They figure use
the protocol that require the least SNR so they minimize the risk of others
can step on them.  I hate that.

One option is that you can deploy licensed wireless, and then go to the
cellular company and try to sell them a more reliable circuit, maybe even at
a discount.
ONe thing that you might be able to use to your advantage is..... Often the
big carrier deploys unlicensed with the mentality that because its
unlicensed that they dont have to tell anyone at the tower, or license that
specific freq with teh tower owner. Meaning, they may not have the right to
use that spectrum at the tower nailed down.  So you might be able to license
the use of that spectrum at the site, if you try.  They likely are only
protected by a first in non-interference clause, if they listed the
ubnlicensed gear in their tower agreement.
You might be able to re-use the spectrum if you give your self about a 100ft
of seperation.

I guess my point is.... Dont assume that The cellular carrier who owns the
gear is the one that you have to negotiate with. Thats not necessarilly a
given.

Remember, interference can be bi-directional. And you ahve the ability to
interfere with them if you also use inefficient technology. That always
creates some leverage for everyone to play nice togeather.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband