At 11/18/2010 10:10 PM, JeromieR wrote:
>This would be over wired (DSL) not wireless. The red tape really just
>clouds my ability to find solid information.

The tricky part is licensing.  You need to go through an aggregator,
who makes the deal with Tellywood on behalf of its customers.  Small
operators can't even get the time of day from the likes of Viacom,
CBS, Disney, NBCU, NewsCorp, and Time-Warner.  I know some small
operators who have the necessary arrangements.  The delivery
aggregators, like Comcast Media Center, could probably also point you
at some license aggregators that they work with.

The term "public IP connection" is a bit tricky.  There are IPTV
systems out there, and even U-Verse probably fits that category, but
I would not try to stream real broadcast TV over the public
Internet.  Too fat. Usually IPTV feeds the head end directly; it
could use a digital turnaround router (DTA) to turn the satellite-fed
digital stream into an IP stream.  These remain encrypted; you need
approved middleware to control the set-top boxes that do the
decoding. That can be expensive, though there are different options
depending on your volume.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/