At 11/19/2010 12:32 PM, you wrote:

> >>That will not be a issue here. I can do DS3 or OC3 or higher if really
> >>needed to the dsl network. That will be enough for a few streams I
> >>hope.
> >
> > It's not the line rate.  If you were passing it along one ISP's
> > backbone, it would probably work, but peering is often lossy, and the
> > backbone isn't really engineered for the QoS that linear streaming
> > requires.  On the other hand, picking a signal off of a satellite
> > isn't really that hard.  Even a C-band dish isn't that big a deal,
> > and a Ku-band dish is trivial.  The real fun comes once you have the
> > (encrypted) signal in hand.
>
>This would be a direct dedicated feed to the core DSL ATM for the
>state. All DSL for the CLEC terminates at one point. I already do some
>high bw applications on it and it works. True I do not know the upper
>limits of their network. I plan to find it =)

You'll be okay on the DSL side.  ATM is fine for this purpose.
Indeed, ADSL was designed for video distribution.  It wasn't ready
for prime time in 1993, but then the public Internet happened and it
was repurposed.  I had thought you wanted to pull down some channel
feeds from the program suppliers via the public Internet.  That would
be the problem side.

>Its trivial to move a stream. Its the STB end that is a issue. I
>already use Slingo's and Roku's. Its acceptable to most people.

IPTV STBs are pretty cheap and powerful nowadays.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/