On 11/29/2010 10:41 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Well right.  There's 38746546574 VoIP carriers in Chicago's 358 LATA.
> 38746546571 of them only cover the contiguous AT&T portion.  Only say 3
> cover the remaining AT&T and Frontier portions of that LATA.  Obviously
> all of these numbers were made up (other than the LATA number), but I
> think I got the point across.
>
> Most places where WISPs aren't already doing VoIP, VoIP coverage is
> difficult to obtain because of a lack of coverage with national
> providers.  Take Elizabeth, IL for example.  It hooks to the Freeport,
> IL tandem.  Level 3 does have a presence in Freeport, but last I
> checked, their VoIP coverage did not extend there.  However, "local"
> companies BitWise and Aero are both there.  Both will sell you VoIP
> service, and you'll be hard pressed to find either on an aggregator's
> network.
I live in an area where Frontier is the LEC not a BOC. Only a handful of
carriers are in those rate centers. When I needed numbers I got local
numbers from the Reading, PA rate center since that local calling area
included the area I am in. When I moved within my same town a year ago I
ported my number to Service Electric and get my local dial tone through
them and haven't been happier plus I'm not constrained with the poor DSL
at the new location. In any event, the key is if a provider doesn't
service your late rate center look upstream for the next major one that
includes you local calling area.

Leon