At 12/3/2010 01:07 PM, GregI wrote:
My guess is the installer app wanted to format and the operator clicked "OK".

Greg

Probably worse than that. Microsoft no longer ships Windows installation disks with consumer computers. Instead,they provide a disk or hidden partition that only does one thing: It restores the hard drive to the original factory state, wiping out everything on the drive (revirgination). So if your Windows files or settings get spooged, as happens with a virus, you need to find a way to back everything, and I mean everything, up, and then selectively restore afterwards. Or just get your hands on a more normal copy of Windows, which alas isn't all that cheap.

It sounds as if the consumer followed the instructions and revirginated the machine. I don't think that the process actually wipes the sectors clean, NSA-style, so it may be possible to restore at least some files. Others may be restored in part... on a picture file, you might get part of the picture.

On Dec 3, 2010, at 1:34 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:

Then they repartitioned and/or formatted.  Major difference.
On Dec 3, 2010 12:30 PM, "Marlon K. Schafer" <<mailto:o...@odessaoffice.com>o...@odessaoffice.com> wrote: > He reinstalled windows. All traces of the old files are gone. I need a program that can grab the files directly from the disk.

 --
 Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
 ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/