There is QUITE a difference between a separation distance of 20 ft and a
separation distance of 100 yards. Remember the inverse-square law - RF
intensity
decreases as the SQUARE of the separation distance. 100 yards is 300 feet and
20
feet goes into 300 feet 15 times so the RF intensity at 100 yards is the
inverse
of 15 squared (15X15) or the inverse of 225. Inverting 225 means that the
intensity at 100 yards is only 1/225th as much as at 20 feet. Scott's equipment
is going to be exposed to 225 times greater RF energy than yours so his
equipment is likely to be overloaded with receiver de-sensitization while your
equipment may be OK.

The solution is to "do everything right" as Scott says. The 11 GHz equipment is
likely so far away from the FM and TV frequencies that it is probably OK. The
solution for 2.4 and 5 GHz is use proper bandpass filters between the antennas
and the equipment then test to see if the receivers seem to have full
sensitivity or not.

jack

On 12/20/2010 2:34 PM, Bret Clark wrote:
>> On 12/20/2010 1:30 PM, Scott Carullo wrote:
>>> Ok, I've dealt with up to about 20KW on FM transmitter 20 feet away
>>> and dealt with it decently.
>>>
>>> Now I'm told one of our installs of gear on a tower is about to get a
>>> 100KW 20ft above my gear and a TV antenna 20ft below it at 700KW
>>> channel 39 I think.
>>>
>>> Anyone have gear running close to this kind of high-power antennas?
>>> Am I screwed or will I be able to have my equipment work int his RF
>>> environment?  Assume I did everything right (grounded metal box,
>>> shielded cable soldered drain wires, ferrite cores on the cables etc...).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Scott Carullo
>>> Technical Operations
>>> 855-FLSPEED x102
>
> We are running 5.8 and 3.65 stuff on towers with 100KW TV systems on the
> tower located about a 100 yards from us on another tower...no problems.
> Probably not much difference between 100KW 20 feet or 100 yards apart.

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks"
Serving the WISP, Networking and Telecom Communities since 1993
www.ask-wi.com  818-227-4220  jun...@ask-wi.com