From: Joe Fiero
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2010 2:12 PM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: [WISPA] Flexible rules promised for wireless

It's good to see all our efforts pay off.

REUTERS  updated 2 minutes ago 2010-12-20T21:45:55

WASHINGTON - The Federal Communications Commission is expected to adopt
Internet traffic rules on Tuesday that would ban the blocking of lawful
content, but allow high-speed Internet providers to manage their networks,
senior agency officials said Monday.

Commissioners Michael Copps and Mignon Clyburn had expressed concerns with the
proposal laid out by FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski early this month, but
senior FCC officials said they had come to an agreement and are expected to
vote in favor of the rules.

Genachowski proposed banning the blocking of lawful traffic but allowing
Internet providers to manage network congestion and charge consumers based on
Internet usage.

The rules would be more flexible for wireless broadband, Genachowski said in a
previous speech, acknowledging that wireless is at an earlier stage of
development than terrestrial Internet service.