At 2/13/2011 11:26 AM, Charles Wu wrote:
>It looks like a success-based "voucher" technologically neutral
>system for USF Reform/CAF is what's being proposed by the RCA (Rural
>Cellular Association)
>
>http://rca-usa.org/press/rca-press-releases/five-things-the-fcc-can-do-to-accelerate-broadband-deployment/914048
>

>Perhaps WISPA should/could partner up with them for a stronger voice?

It would not do WISPs much good.  Very, very few would qualify as
ETC, or even want to be ETCs.  RCA is trying to stave off a proposal
to get rid of competitive ETC support entirely, most of which goes to
cellular carriers for their fixed-wireless deployments.  Supporting
RCA seems pointless too, since they would be trying to get the
exclusive CAF designations in their turf. Given the anti-competitive
bent of the pending NPRM, expecting to move it towards more
competition and subsidies to smaller providers seems unrealistic.

WISP participation might, however, be useful in letting the FCC know
just how messed up the system is.  WISPs provide service for a much
lower cost than ETCs, with no subsidies, and don't need subsidized
competitors putting them otu of business.  And just raising the idea
of subsidizing low-cost WISPs, as an alternative to the fat RLECs,
might help push the Overton Window just a little bit more away from
the monopoly side.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/