Definitely a good way to look at it. We actually took AT&T's plan and
doubled it to show how fair we were.

From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:52 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Customer Usage

I believe Excessive usage should be calculated by considering the
average use.  Ignore the top 5% and lower 5% users, then add up all
those in between and divide by the number of subs considered, and taht
will give a good average.  If 50G is the average, its OK if one guy does
75, if its matched by a guy that only does 25. Thats what over
subscription and averaging is all about.

Then you need to calculate your total available capacity. Then you need
to calculate your "total" cost to deliver that capacity.  Until you have
those numbers, you dont really know what you should charge for averge
usage. Is average usage above or below your cost to deliver, from a per
GB point of view? How much growth in average use can you tolerate, and
still be profitable? I'd suggest doubleing average usage, and start
charging extra per GB, once it exceeds that value of doubling average
use.

But even then, that misses the boat. You really need to define how many
subs you want to be able to serve per sector, and then calaculate the
maximum tolerable average use able to be accommodated on your
technology. What ever that number is, you then need to compare it to
what your current average use is.

When I calculate cost, I pretend I have half the badnwdit h that I have.
If its a 10mb sector, I consider it 5mb. That allows the business model
to work during growth phase, understanding that you'll need to upgrade
to handle demand before a network is saturated. And factoring that a
network works less good when operating at peak capacity, so leaving your
self some headroom.

I dont actually carge people pe GB, but the math is all the same,
whether the choice is to charge more when it reaches a threshold versus
bandwdith limit when a threashold has been reached.

Another approach is to compare it to the cost of a movie.  For example,
if Comcast charges $5 for a movie, and an average movie is 5GB large,
then charge $1 per GB.

Make it a financial deission for the customer to choose video over
Internet versus Dish/Comcast, so it is strictly a decission of
convenience.

My point is, its not a generic answer what to charge. It reall dpends
what your capacity and costs are, which can vary drastically for many
reasons.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband