Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

On 2/1/2012 10:25 AM, Tom DeReggi wrote:
Agreed. But I question the reasons, because there are more than one factor leading their interest. Some of it is vendor pressure. Some of it Egos sore from past failed attempts. For example, the big Cable Cos were major investors in Clearwire (and maybe other WImax alliances), and had to pull out without a ROI. Human phychy typical responses are either 1) that didn't wotk, forget that market, or 2) I'll show them (the world), we'll just do it ourselves and be in control of our investment, or 3) Of you fall off the horse, get back on and try a again, except more out of pride than good judgement. Or maybe its just fear of a competitor being one up?.Verizon/ATT has the bundle and we dont, shouldn't we be competing with the Jones? Or, some guy working from his basement can do this, surely we should be able to.... Lets explore it. I'd find it hard to believe that the primary justification would be, "we crunched the numbers and did some preliminary engineering, and this is one super exicting big profit venture." Heck, I honestly can say, if I were the President of Time Warner or Comcast, and some bozo pitched the the board to start a 10,000 node wifi play, I'd probably fire them on the spot, on the basis that they were likely either blind or insane, and maybe throw in a few cheap shots like, "Remember Cometa, Remember Clearwire, Remember Earthlink". Maybe even address the CAble Co board with, "Lets not forget who we are, we are the best darn Cable Co in the country, lets keep it that way, no reason to tarnish our name with Wifi failures.". Unless, they pulled an "infinity", and launched a different brand name for the wifi project. Maybe its partially an attitude of "what do we have to loose"? IF the project fails, one up side is we destroyed teh RF environment to reduce WISP's effectiveness, a disruptive defensive measure masked as a legit project for public good. Maybe its boredom? We got the money, why not try something new? The other thing is they'll reaslize that its hard to deploy in public spots with the game plan that "this is for Comcast subscribers". The venues will want Wifi for all patrons, not just patrons of Comcast. Sure it could be with a fee for everyone else, but again, the trend now adays is free wifi, and that is what public venues will want. Venues wont want the comcast wifi to interfere with their own. These are generally the flaws that The big Cos dont recognize early on. Just becaues there is an intent to dbuy and deploy 10,000 nodes doesn;t mean one can find 10,000 useful places to install them, where they are allowed to install them. Maybe, I'm not the insightful one, but personally, I feel Comcast and TimeWarner would be much better off concentrating on expanding Cable to the remainign 24% of unserved rural Americans, than messin around with wifi.
Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Mike Hammett <mailto:wispawirel...@ics-il.net>
    *To:* WISPA General List <mailto:wireless@wispa.org>
    *Sent:* Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:41 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [WISPA] Ericsson is buying BelAir, betting on Wi-Fi

    Agreed. The technology is different, the model is different, the
    reasons are different.

    -----
    Mike Hammett
    Intelligent Computing Solutions
    http://www.ics-il.com

    On 1/31/2012 2:13 PM, Brian Webster wrote:

    Tom,

                    I have sat in on planning these networks with
    Time Warner and Comcast. The way they are building these versions
    they will work for their purposes. Trust me I have built a couple
    of large scale muni networks JIn regards to the mounting issues,
    so long as they have above ground outside plant life will be good
    for them. These nodes mount on the suspended messenger wire, not
    the poles. That means they can just attach them to their existing
    lines. I'm not saying that it will be easy but it's much easier
    than someone else trying to build given the fact that they
    already occupy the space on said poles. They are also planning to
    ink deals with local businesses to mount nodes when necessary.
    Since they will be wiring every node to their network for
    backhaul, there is no requirement for any wireless meshing, just
    connectivity to the client device. They do not necessarily plan
    to have a contiguous network market wide, just where there are
    likely to be high concentrations of users. This also not meant to
    be a network that will hand off connections from node to node at
    highway speeds. They are assuming a relatively stationary user of
    the system.

                    This whole design philosophy is quite different
    from the muni Wi-Fi networks most of us think about. The real
    reason they are building these is to keep customer churn down by
    offering existing broadband and video customers a free mobility
    component in areas they are likely to need it. I would expect
    they will also later ink some roaming deals will cellular
    carriers but that is not on their initial radar as of now. They
    will be using nodes that have smart channel selection capability
    which will pick the quietest channel. In some cases there are
    also plans to include the 5 gig spectrum as consumer devices are
    now showing up on the market capable of using both bands.

                    I would not be so quick to dismiss this iteration
    of outdoor Wi-Fi. It's coming; they have combined an extra 3.5
    billion dollars they just received from selling spectrum to
    Verizon. They are hiring plenty of skill to build this properly
    and/or fix issues that arise. It's change and it's coming. There
    is enough at stake to have to make this work. Cellular needs a
    successful deployment strategy for outdoor Wi-Fi to work as well
    for their offload needs. The manufacturers have a lot of radios
    they want to sell so they have to make it work now. Outdoor Wi-Fi
    will not go away now, you can take that bet to the bank. You may
    not like or want that to happen but it's going to just the same.

                    When people say it can't happen I just remind
    myself of how many times I have said that over my wireless career
    and how many times I was proven wrong. Heck just a few months ago
    people were complaining that the spectral mask in TVWS was not
    going to allow for any reasonable speed offerings, yet now all of
    the sudden we have manufacturers coming up with designs that
    work. Everything changes and they change faster when more money
    is at stake.

    Thank You,

    Brian Webster

    www.wirelessmapping.com <http://www.wirelessmapping.com>