From: "Bret Clark" <bcl...@spectraaccess.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:22:02 PM
Subject: [WISPA] Internet Speed test..are they inaccurate with wireless?

We mostly deal with business customer and guarantee bandwidth to customers. We
validate the bandwidth using IPERF from a Linux server off of our BGP edge
routers down to the customer and IPERF always shows the customer getting the
bandwidth they signed up for. We use QoS to control bandwidth and make sure to
not oversubscribe any one link....small ratios of 3:1.

Of course eventually at some point the customer runs one of those stupid
bandwidth test on the Internet and the results are woefully inaccurate (not in
our favor)...but of course customers take the results as gospel.
AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

It's not our internet connections, we have three 100Mbps BGP links and none of
them run at more then 50% during peak loads.

Has anyone else found those Internet speed test to be woefully inaccurate? Or
is something else going on that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Bret