On 1/8/2013 6:23 PM, Andrew Jones wrote:
> I'm not so sure that MPLS support is being worked on. There is
> certainly no commitment to it from Ubiquiti's forum reps and based on
> the fact that there is no actively-maintained, feature-complete,
> freely-available MPLS implementation for Linux, I'm not holding my
> breath.
>
> Why should I only run MPLS on a Cisco or Juniper device? There are many
> people happily running MPLS on routerOS, including VPLS which is not
> available on Cisco devices until you start to get into the very
> expensive end of town.

For the moment, if you're doing enterprise managed services (the highest
profit end of the "ISP" business, though a stretch for most WISPs), MPLS
is the only game in town.  You do it on a router that has it, or on a
"switch" that has it.  Enterprises use their own IP space (usually 10.x)
and thus service providers have to stay at a lower layer. And you can't
really do VoIP decently (full quality) without some kind of QoS-enabled
shim below IP.  If you're outside of the scope of a Carrier Ethernet VC,
then you probably are using MPLS.

There is MPLS for Linux, which presumably is what RouterOS uses, since
they don't make their own sources available and they'd probably have to
if they wrote it.... So I'm surprised that Vyatta hasn't bothered with
it.  Cisco is way too expensive.  RouterOS boxes on big Intel iron are
more capable, though RouterOS can be a bid dodgey at times (as can a lot
of other systems).

--
  Fred R. Goldstein              fred "at" interisle.net
  Interisle Consulting Group