That has been true, but it seems like the cell world has been moving to 48V
lately.
Examples:
Alvarion carrier WiMax (2.5Ghz), macro and micro uses 48V (maybe you can
get it in 24V, the stuff I've seen has all been 48V)
With packet optical, if you put a Cyan box in that uses 24V you
need separate linecard spares as they aren't compatible with the 48V stuff
in core.
More microwave backhauls are at 48V. Newer all-outdoor ones are using POE+
/ 802.3at which is 48V.
Cisco ASR901S pole-mount routers output POE+ so you have one outdoor box to
take your fiber and go to microwave to other sites.
Most Ethernet switches are AC or -48DC.