From: "Steve Barnes" <st...@pcswin.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:16:56 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Latest trend for heavy wooded areas

I have 1 Tower with UBNT 900Mhz and 1 tower with MT and XR9 cards. Both have
~25 clients. The MT tower Has more trees and a Single V-Pol Omni. The UBNT has
a the UBNT 120* sector so it is limited to the direction it is pointed. I get
the same throughput on both. I can give Clients a 5MB service no issues
depending on SNR but most have a 2MB or less service. They both work. But these
are very Rural and when the RTK farming system is active for Planting or
Harvesting then it gets a little dicey. But they have no other option when they
call and complain during those times I explain that it is noise I have no
control over, Sorry.

[my opinion]
Putting multiple 900Mhz Radios on a single tower is IMPOSIBLE without GPS sync.
The Noise from one to the other, even from bounces off of buildings 1 mile away
makes the noise too high for the sector. I mean come on you only have 25MHz to
play in and in today’s world to offer the speeds you need to on 900 you need to
use 20 MHz. Even if you use 10Mhz and use the top and bottom you only have 5MHz
Separation and on the same tower unless you are on opposite sides of a solid
steel water tower, you will have enough bleed over that your receive
sensitivity will be shot.
[/my opinion]

Steve Barnes
General Manager