From: "Sam" <w...@csilogan.com>
To: wireless@wispa.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:50:51 PM
Subject: [WISPA] iPerf as a Real-World Performance Simulation Tool

Has anyone used iPerf before? I'm curious of your thoughts as to the
reliability, and how the results would map to a real-world environment.
For example, a friend was testing some 3.65 radios (which had no
connection to the Internet) using iPerf. Based upon the iPerf results, a
determination was made regarding maximum concurrent users per AP and
maximum aggregate bandwidth capacity of the radio. For the maximum
concurrent users I believe they tested this at several different
download and upload speed for the fictional users.

Having never used iPerf, I don't know if the results from their tests
(which were very poor by the way - much lower than common configurations
of DL/UL rates as well as number of users per AP I've read many of you
describing on these lists) map reasonably to what one would expect from
a given AP, or if they tend to be wonky.

Thanks,
Sam