On 1/4/2014 2:20 PM, Adam Greene wrote:

Hi,

We have a small Alvarion VL 5.8GHz cell with two links of less than a mile. Generally they are beautiful. However, since Dec 23, we are getting lots of packet loss and high latency on almost all frequencies.

Every day we have to go through all the available frequencies in order to find one which is tolerable. Usually there is only one frequency from 5740-5830MHz which is usable, and every day it changes, sometimes multiple times during the day.

We have rebooted the AU to no avail and upgraded all devices to recent firmware (6.5.7), all to no avail.

What do you think is happening? Perhaps someone turned up a device in the area which is jamming most of 5.8GHz? But then why would the frequencies shift every so often? I wonder if there is a particular wireless manufacturer whose gear behaves like that.

Perhaps there is water in the connector of the AU? But then why do the frequencies seem to shift around like this?

Any ideas welcome. The site is about 2 hours away so we're trying to avoid a truck roll, otherwise would just swap gear / check weatherizing, etc. Maybe there's no avoiding it though.

Maybe somebody nearby set up a radio and turned on DFS2, as if it were in the 5250-5725 range. That will change frequencies when it thinks it hears radar. I've observed MikroTik radios detecting radar where there almost certainly was none; your signal or somebody else's might "false" them. With DFS enabled, it can go anywhere within the scan range.

(I sympathize with the distance. I drove right past your office today.)

--
 Fred R. Goldstein      k1io     fred "at" interisle.net
 Interisle Consulting Group