From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of Faisal Imtiaz
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 10:27 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] VoIP - Who is using successfully?

We are.....

There are number of things to check for....

Not knowing much about your network setup....

Making assumption that your BH and AP's are not over loaded.

Making assumption that your MT's are not over loaded

Making assumption that your Queue mech. are not an issue...

Making assumption that there is no packet loss on the network path from
customer to the VOIP Provider's (SIP & RTP proxy)

Basic fundamentals are as follows:-  (think of peeling an onion, starting from
the core going outwards).

SIP Voice is two types of packets... SIP Signaling   and RTP (Real time Packets
/ Voice or video)

Most providers will mark their outbound SIP & RTP with appropriate DSCP (qos)
markings (feel free to google for info).

Most ATA's will mark outbound SIP & RPT with appropriate DSCP (802.1p qos)
markings.

Most Wireless Radio Mfg, when they support QOS, they will respect these
markings, and handle traffic appropriately, (unless they run into other
issues,, e.g. high pps rates etc).

http://wiki.ubnt.com/AirMax_-_QoS_DSCP/TOS_Mappings

FYI, with UBNT qos handling varied with  Firmware Version...e.g. " BOLD -
special mapping cases starting from v5.5.4 Before v5.5.4 DSCP 46 go to WME
Video, DSCP 26 go to WME Best Effort."

----------

Double Check the ATA's  QOS Packet Marking...to make sure that Default DSCP
Marking is what you are expecting...

-----------

The other thing you need to check on is Jitter buffer  settings..... you may
want to enable it and set it for for something like 100 to 150, to see if it
improves stuff.

FYI, the biggest problem with VOIP and Fixed Wireless, is  Packet Loss, and
Jitter (this is more troublesome .. some packets arrive on time, other are
delayed, and some are out of order)

Feel free to ping me off list if you need more info. or have questions.

Regards.

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street