On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 01:06:14PM -0500, Bob M wrote:
> Looking for a UPS with SNMP that can send me a loss of AC power alert
> and power up the backhand radio for maybe 5-10 minutes.  Worst case
> scenario on the radio will 80 watts of draw at 110 vac.
>
> Other option would be a basic ups and an external monitoring
> devce.  Need something economical because I need to do about 50
> sites.

If you have a MikroTik with a USB port at each site, you could power the
MikroTik and the backhaul from an APC UPS with a USB management port.
You are in business, just load the ups package in the MikroTik.  We
do that at several sites.  Nagios and MRTG monitor the UPS status and
runtime remaining via SNMP queries to the MikroTik.

/system ups print oid

If you only have serial on the UPS, and have a serial port on MikroTik,
you may still be in business.  I just haven't done that myself.

Just size the UPS to get the runtime you want, probabaly using the
manufacturer's website.

That said, we are converting to DC only at as many tower sites as we
can.  We monitor power status with Nagios and MRTG via SNMP queries the
MikroTiks to get the input voltage.

/system health print oid

If the input voltage is > 27v, the site is on AC power.  If the input
voltage is less, the site is on battery power.  We can pretty much tell
how much runtime is left from the voltage.

With either method, you could setup a script on the MikroTik to e-mail
you about things you want to know without having to have central
monitoring server.

A bank of two 7 AH SLA batteries to get 24v would keep one UBNT RocketM
and a MIPSBE MikroTik (about 16 to 20 Watts) running for at least 10
minutes, probably 4 to 8 hours depending on desired depth of discharge.

Your 80 watt radio and a 12 watt MikroTik should run for 50 to 110
minutes, if your radio can take 24 - 30v DC.

The batteries and a MeanWell AD-155B may be as inexpensive as a small
APC.  But, there is more assembly required.

We are aiming for full site power for 8 to 24 hours, so that we can
sleep through the bad nights.  We use two to eight 35 AH SLA batteries.

lamb...@lambertfam.org