From: Bob Moldashel
Sent: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:31 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Tower Climbing Requirements

Tim,

Here is a quick summary.

The employer is responsible for maintaining a safe work environment.  With that
said anyone climbing an elevated structure is expected to be "trained" and
"properly equipped" with the correct personal safety equipment. OSHA has basic
requirements (of which I don't have in front of me but will try to get you a
link or two). The ultimate responsibility falls on the employer regardless of
the amount of employees he or she has. Regardless where the "training" was
received, the business owner is responsible for "certifying" the person doing
the climbing.

A sole proprieter or the company owner has the right to climb without the need
to comply with OSHA requirements. He is not considered an employee and, as
such, is exempt from OSHA regulations.

There are numerous companies out there that are providing varying levels of
training and will provide a "certificate" showing that training was completed.
Most training is only a day or two long with one day classroom and one day on a
structure. Actual time on the structure is usually only a few hours.  Most are
just awareness classes IMHO and don't really cover everything that's needed to
be known to safely operating in the air.

Now the next issue.

It also depends who owns the structure and what their requirements are. Many
large tower companies like SBA, American Tower, etc are requiring Comtrain or
equivalent outside training certifications for anyone on their towers. Others
could care less as long as you have the proper insurance.  And while we are on
the subject of Insurance....a lot of tower companies/water tanks are looking
for high general liability coverage.  $5 million is not unusual anymore.  A few
sites we work on have $10 million GL requirements.  You should ask that
question before committing to any work.

Anything over 6' and you need fall arrest harness and lanyard.

Hope that helps and is not confusing the matter.

-B-

Bob Moldashel