On 3/6/2017 12:48 PM, Marco Coelho wrote:
How about towers that were installed previously?

"Grandfathered Wireless Broadband Service" (3.65) licenses will remain in effect until 2020. If they expire before then, they can be renewed for up to that date. If they happened to be issued in the 2010-2013 time frame before the CBSD docket opened, then they get their full 10 years, which can make some of them run as late as March, 2023. For strange reasons I won't get into here, that can have unfortunate consequences, so there may be pressure on some WISPs to transition them anyway in 2020.

Grandfathered devices fall into two categories. If you Registered them in ULS before 4/17/15 and had them in revenue service by 4/17/16, then they become Incumbent in CBRS and are entitled to very strong protection against other CBRS devices, on their current frequencies. That can have a 17 km radius, IIRC. If they were not registered, they get protection to 5.4 km. You can still add devices, but they are not treated the same as the ones that were registered. So if you had registered a device on that tower, it gets good protection until 2020.

Once the GWBS licenses expire, the device either has to be re-approved as a CBSD (some will, some won't) or go off the air. I'd expect the LTE and some WiMax and other current clean-signal devices to get CBSD upgrades and approval; I don't expect any Wi-Fi-derivative devices to do so. Just speculating, though.