On Feb 7, 2014, at 8:04 PM, Guy Harris <g...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> There's a LuaFileSystem package:
>
>       http://keplerproject.github.io/luafilesystem/
>
> that presumably uses standard UN*X calls on UN*Xes and appropriate Windows
> calls on Windows.
>
> We also have our own wrappers in the wsutil library for some file system
> operations.
>
> Should we either bundle the LuaFileSystem stuff, at least on platforms where
> we bundle Lua with Wireshark rather than relying on the OS to have it as a
> package (I guess the packager could make the appropriate Wireshark package
> depend on the LuaFileSystem package, if one exists), or do our own Lua
> extensions using the wsutil routines?

LFS is kinda heavy for our needs I think.  Fwiw, there’s already a wslua 'Dir'
class available via wslua_util.c, though it only provides directory filename
iteration.  It just maps to glib’s GDir.

> The latter may handle non-ASCII pathnames better on Windows - a quick look at
> the LuaFileSystem seems not to indicate that it does any UTF-8-to-UTF-16
> mapping, it just calls _mkdir(), but we map UTF-8 to UTF-16 and call
> _wmkdir().

In fairness to LFS, Lua itself doesn’t really handle unicode very well.

> It also matches what we do in C/C++ code in Wireshark.

Yeah, that’s probably the safest route.

-hadriel