On Apr 9, 2017, at 10:37 PM, Paul Offord <paul.off...@advance7.com> wrote:

> Ah that was going to be my next question :-)
>
> Any ideas?

Given that there are no such APIs, one would have to be added and, if we're
going  to be adding APIs, an API by which a post-dissector can specify that, at
least on the first pass through the packets, it requires a protocol tree would
be better, as it wouldn't encourage people to write code that works only in
Wireshark but not in TShark.  (The only such code should be taps with a GUI.
Even the taps that produce tables of information shouldn't be program-dependent
- there should be a layer that shows the table in text form in TShark and as a
table window in Wireshark.)

So would you need the full protocol tree *every* time the packet is dissected,
or just the *first* time (meaning you'd save the results of the first-pass
processing and not require it later)?