I figured it out.

We had massive power outages last week due to storms. Many of my locations had new IP addresses when everything came back up. The new IP addresses were illegal for the directory in question and it errorred out. The problem was that the error files (403.html, 404.html, etc) were corrupted by Dreamweaver such that they contained only the content of their corresponding checkout files. So, I'm trying to access a range of pages, including non-existing pages and consistently getting the odd Dreamweaver file.

A compound error.