From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Glos
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 15:09
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Question: Migrating Existing Installer to WindowsInstaller

Hello,

I’ve spent the last two days getting familiar with WiX, the windows installer, and going through the great tutorial on WiX (http://www.tramontana.co.hu/wix/).  I especially liked the article posted a year ago (http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnwingen/html/wixsetup.asp) that talks about doing the installer during the development cycle and not at the end of it.  We are badly in need of doing this.

I have a question however.  How do we migrate from our current installer to the Windows Installer for existing customers?

We just released version 5.0 of our product.  Spending 6 weeks updating our installer (we have a custom C# installer).  I can see our new customers instead using a new .msi for later versions (5.5, 6.0, etc).  What do I do about our existing customers when they wish to upgrade?  They’ve never installed originally with a Windows Installer.  How do I get them on the same track?

Thanks for any advice,

Rick Glos

* C O N F I D E N T I A L I T Y N O T I C E *
The content of this e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this communication in error, be aware that forwarding it, copying it, or in any way disclosing its content to any other person, is strictly prohibited. Peek Traffic Corporation is neither liable for the contents, nor for the proper, complete and timely transmission of (the information contained in) this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail immediately and delete the material from any computer.