Yep... I kinda forgot the smiley in my email :)

So where is the 'command lines and the tools to use' documentation
located, precisely?

Kelly

Rob Mensching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
10/24/2007 09:05 AM

"'Kelly Leahy'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc
[EMAIL PROTECTED], wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject
Re: [WiX-users] wixout file format

I know you’re being slightly flippant but truly the answer is, “Yes, the
schema is all documented.  The command-lines and the tools to use are
documented.”  I’m happy for people to say, “Hey, such-and-such isn’t
documented… can I expect it to remain constant supported and all that good
stuff?”  I’ll then go into the tools and see if it is a purposeful feature
or a side-effect that might change in the future.  The former is something
I should document.  The latter is something you should not use.

In this case, the fact that .wixout files were once XML files was a
“side-effect” of some decisions made “at the beginning of time” (for WiX
v2).  Later (in WiX v3), having “binary wixouts” (and .wixlibs but nobody
has been complaining about them <grin/>) provided us with some really nice
features.  So, we changed it.

Thus far I have only had two organizations get huffy about that change,
Microsoft Office and Microsoft Visual Studio.  Why?  Because they wrote
tools that went in and dorked with the .wixout files as XML directly
instead of using other supported mechanisms in the WiX toolset for doing
what they wanted to do.  Apparently, no one in Office told Justin (who,
based on the gigantic signature on the end of his email, appears to work
in Microsoft Office) that the .wixout files haven’t been XML files for
about a year now.  <smile/>