Jason,

I just installed and tested this again with the new build of wix
v3.0.4206.0.  On Windows Server 2003 SP1 I do not see the exception, and
all the code I wrote executes correctly and detects the various things I
have written it to detect (can it connect to the database server, does
the database they are creating already exist, is the version of SQL
Server correct, and do they have adequate permissions on the server to
create a database).

On Windows Server 2003 SP2, I still see the exception: "Invalid data
received from remote MSI function invocation".

On Windows Server 2008 I do not see the exception.

At one point I executed my msi and got a different error message with
something about "Unable to load Microsoft.SqlServer.Clr...".  This is
not a dll that even exists, but I am not able to reproduce this error
and I didn't write down exactly what it said.  I will keep trying and I
will post if I encounter it again.

Amy

-----------------------
In my code:
-----------------------
//THIS IS THE FIRST THING I DO ASIDE FROM A MESSAGE BOX TO ATTACH TO
PROCESS
string serverToTest = session["SERVERTOTEST"];
session["LASTSERVERTESTED"] = serverToTest;

string sqlServer = session["SQLSERVER"]; --Exception here

-----------------------
>From the log on the 2003/SP2 machine...(NOTE that LASTSERVERTESTED
should be "sqlserver")
-----------------------
Property(C): SERVERTOTEST = sqlserver
Property(C): LASTSERVERTESTED = tion
ManagedCustomActions!ManagedCustomActions.CustomActions.CheckSqlConnecti
on

**the property SQLSERVER cannot be found in the log!  It was there after
the last build, but now I don't see it at all (even on the servers where
it works).

>From the log on the 2008 machine...(Note here that the server to test
got modified later on in the custom action to something else).
Property(C): SERVERTOTEST = reportserver
Property(C): LASTSERVERTESTED = sqlserver

**the property SQLSERVER cannot be found in the log!